Monday, October 10, 2011

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten

Well, I knew it was coming, but all of the preparation in the world and the confidence that she was more than ready didn't make the day any easier...for me. (While I hid behind my big sunglasses at the bus stop the first day, Ava hopped on the bus like she'd been doing it for years). She started full-day kindergarten this fall, and so far, she is loving it (though she likes to play it cool and pretend that it's just "okay" - man, that kind of thing starts early, doesn't it?) She gets on the bus every morning at 7:50 and gets home shortly before 3:00 in the afternoon. Ava has a great teacher, and there are 21 kids in her class (13 girls and 8 boys according to the chart she made on the first day - not a bad ratio, if you ask me). :) Her favorite parts of school so far: recess, lunch and phy ed - ha! Everyone keeps asking me how Charlie is adjusting, and frankly, I don't think he thought much either way. He likes waiting with all of the neighbor kids at the bus stop, he wishes he could get on the bus too, and other than that, I think he's kind of enjoying being the only child for a few hours a day. Me, after the first day, I adjusted quickly, but you'll find me looking out the window and tapping my foot impatiently around 2:45 every day, anxious to reconnect with Ava (assuming she doesn't just throw her backpack in the driveway and go play with the neighbors!)

Here she is with her "schultute," stuffed with fun surprises for the first day:


Big sister and little brother


There she goes!

No comments: